Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Barefoot Beginnings

Ok so I know it's only Tuesday and I said on Sunday I was going to try and be more positive about this cold weather but it's proving to be really hard right now. It's soooo hard to get out of bed when it's dark and -25 C...I was the biggest crank-ass in the world when I woke up. Good thing Andrew wasn't home to enjoy it :)

It's looking like all of my running will be at the gym this week! It wasn't as bad when I used to run at lunch as it's usually sunny out there which compensates for the cold temps. But since I started my new job I usually run after work so being dark and that cold is not my idea of a good time!

Last night I ran 5 miles on the treadmill and then followed it up with some weights and core work. I was stretching after my workout and started thinking about The Barefoot Book I read some reviews on yesterday....and it inspired me to give it the old college try. I've heard it's best when starting out to keep it slow and short...so i jogged around the track at my gym for 5 mins barefoot!

It felt kinda cool...it's interesting, like you automatically run differently and it seems natural to not land heel first (which seems normal in running shoes). I like the idea of doing it to help strengthen my feet. If i'm at the gym i think i might try doing it for 5 mins a couple of times a week after a workout and maybe one day working my way up to longer periods of time. Who knows. I look forward to trying it out in the summer on some nice soft grass though. For now, maybe the treadmill will feel softer than the track?
Until next time...
D-dot

1 comment:

  1. The thing I find most weird after running barefoot on the track is when I then put my princess runners back on and the next couple of laps feel like someone put my feet in marshmallow.

    Many a barefoot treadmill runner swears on wearing socks. Me, if I want to feel no heel on the mill I wear a racing flat - I just don't trust that belt.

    Good to see the activity on the pathways and on the blog - New Year's Resolutions rule!

    ReplyDelete