Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Barefoot running anyone?

While on my run at lunch today (second run this week by the way...and still without foot pain!) I was passed by a guy, wearing these funny looking shoes that immediately made me think...another one of those runners trying to get into the barefoot running trend. Now i'm not knocking the whole barefoot running thing or Vibrams 5 finger shoes (even though I think they look ridiculous)...and I do understand the concept and why it might work for some etc but I have to admit i'm definitely not convinced...

Towards the end of my run I caught up to him and passed him but could hear him not close behind. As he caught up to me he asked "how was Boston" since I was wearing my Boston jacket...I almost cringe when I wear that jacket and get that question on the path...because it's always by a smirking guy...as he's passing me...and then for some reason I feel like I need to prove myself or something. Dumb. I know. But I digress...

He started chatting to me about running...marathons...how he's doing ironman this year...and somehow started talking about the book Born to Run (which I own and have still yet to read...it's next in line though after my current book) which led to the conversation of barefoot running. Today he was wearing water shoes...or aqua socks if you may...to allow him to not heel strike and strike more mid sole etc etc. He actually got quite into it and even stopped mid stride and started jumping up and down to show foot strike etc while other runners passed us and looked at us as if we were nuts...while in my head I was shouting, I don't even know this guy!!! lol Just kidding...kind of...but it was pretty funny and it did make for an interesting lunch time run :)

Anyway...while he further enlightened me on barefoot running today...I'm still more than sure that I really do love my nice comfy runners and have absolutely no desire to ever run barefoot...

2 comments:

  1. Interesting...A while back I thought the Vibrams were ridiculous! A friend of mine made me read the book, too and I went out and got the 5fingers. I have run in them a couple of times now, but all on the road. It's the best feeling EVER!!!! No weight, and your posture will change automatically. I usually don't lift my knees up very high unless I do sprints, but I gained a good amount running "barefooted". It sounds weird, but think of it as sex without the condom!!!! Oh, shouldn't I have said that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the fence waiting to see how this barefoot running fad pans out. I have to admit the theory sounds good but the application sounds painful.

    ReplyDelete