Friday, March 14, 2014

March 4, 2014

March 4, 2014. 10 days ago. I lost my best friend :( My faithful companion and friend that has been with me for the last 9 years and 2 months. I never thought I would have to say good bye so soon.

I continue to grieve for my dog Logan who had to leave me much sooner than I ever expected. It's not as if he got older and slower with age and we could see it coming. He was doing awesome and running with me and playing at the park and then boom he couldn't walk very well one day...he couldn't jump up in the truck...he couldn't get up the stairs very easily. Several vet visits and it was thought that very likely he had leukemia. No pain medication was working. I mean percocet - supposedly a wonderous drug for pain...did. not. work.

I could have spent all kinds of money I did not have to do more and more tests to discover what the vet was 90% already sure of. I could have put him on a drug that would have let him live hopefully relatively pain free for the next 2 to 4 weeks and then it would stop working...just so I could have him around because I love him so. That isn't humane. That is selfish.

My dog kept me up night after night in pain, not often lying down and if he did lie down, not able to get up. I knew this was the end and I was not prepared for it. I stayed home from work that day to spend some last hours together before having to take him in to be put to sleep. I gave him turkey burgers, treats upon treats, whatever he wanted. We went to the park, we cuddled, I said good bye. Thus far, it was the worst day of my life.

Our last day together - at the dog park with L-Dawg
Below are some of my favorite photos of Logan and help me to remember the happy times.

Catching some shade in Fernie

Hiking near Elbow Falls

An evening at the Dog Park

More Doggy Park visits

Tea break after hiking to the Lake Agnes tea house, Lake Louise

Lake Agnes

Checking out the Bow River

Logan loved his stuffies

Family Hike near Canmore

Family vacation, checking out the view on Going-to-the-Sun Road, Montana

Showing off

Hiking Ha Ling Peak, Canmore



Running with mom at Nose Hill

Loving the Snow




Snowshoeing on New Years Day 2014, at COP

Snow Dog

Mountain Dog posing it up

Only hike together in 2013 - Sulphur Mtn. Logan rocked it like a pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment